Sahar Hossenabadi



Sahar Hosseinabadi was born in Tehran, Iran, she studied art there as an undergraduate student and as an apprentice to contemporary artists. After migrating to the Australia in 1998, she was actively researching and working in art industry. Sahar is currently completing her MVA in painting and performance at Sydney College of the Arts.


So Feel My Pulse, 2009, video

"As an artist from a different culture I have been impressed by the contrast between my traditional eastern background and contemporary western living. I frequently feel that while the new culture professes to welcome me I nevertheless feel rejected. It seems impossible for me to be a member of both cultures simultaneously. This has led me to want to explore the issue of identity and how it is determined by cultural, psychological, sociological, physiological and ideological background. The general objective of my artwork is to discover and reveal these differences and bring greater understanding between one culture and another.

This film plays continuously with my own identity. It is almost impossible to see where my true character might be. What if I look in the mirror and see nothing? If a mirror looks into a mirror what is there to see? This is a comment on the combination of my background culture of east and west - Australian AND Iranian. Questions about AND which haven’t been resolved.

Goldfish is the central character in ‘So Feel My Pulse’ video show, based on a previous performance piece. She represents my own experience of cultural change and the difficulties associated with it both in Iran and in moving to Australia. This project explores the diversity of my own perception, delving into personal and lived experience through varied personal bodily experience in asylum seeker issues. ‘Knotted’ is the metaphor of confronting with shortcomings in daily life and how to deal with the gap between Serenity to accept the things I cannot change and Courage to change the things I can. The accompanying soundscape is perplexing, representing the tumult of my heart and personal grief." Sahar Hossenabadi, June 2009